Mouthguards designed to be worn with braces are made of a soft malleable material, typically medical- grade silicon. They fit around brace brackets, allowing them to adjust to changes in the position of the tooth after the braces are adjusted. Many people especially pre- teens or teenagers have braces. Playing a game or participating in a sports activity when wearing these braces can often increase the risk for cuts and lacerations from the braces. To prevent injury and provide added protection, mouthguard for braces are worn. To learn more about the best mouthguards for braces 2017, take a look at this guide below.
- 1 Benefits of wearing mouthguard for braces
- 2 Types of mouthguard for braces
- 3 Best Mouthguard for Braces 2018
- 4 Shock Doctor Double Braces Strapless Mouthguard
- 5 Brain – Pod LoPro + Double Laminated Strap/ Strapless Combo
- 6 Mogo Performance Mouthguard Braces
- 7 Sisu Mouth Guards Aero 1.6 mm Custom Fit Sports
- 8 Venum Challenger Mouthguard
- 9 Tapou T Adult Special Guard
- 10 Breathable Strapless Dual Mouth Guard
- 11 Under Armour Mouth wear Armour Fit Mouthguard
- 12 Buyer’s Guide
- 13 How to care for your mouthguard
- 14 The Bottom Line
Benefits of wearing mouthguard for braces
Wearing mouthguards ensures proper oral health of your teenager. These protective devices not only help protect the teeth from impact, but also guard the mouth against lacerations that can be caused by braces. Additionally, wearing mouthguards can shield the jaw and brain from sudden impact.
Types of mouthguard for braces
There are primarily two types of mouthguards for braces, single braces mouth guards and double braces mouthguards. Both these type of mouthguards come in two varieties- one without the strap and another with quick release strap. However, while single brace mouthguards help protect only the upper teeth, the double braces mouthguards help protect both upper and lower teeth and meet NFHS wrestling requirements.
Best Mouthguard for Braces 2018
|Product Name||Customer Evaluation|
|Shock Doctor Double Braces Strapless Mouthguard|
|Brain – Pod LoPro + Double Laminated Strap/ Strapless Combo||3 stars|
|Mogo Performance Mouthguard Braces||-|
|Sisu Mouth Guards Aero 1.6 mm Custom Fit Sports||4 stars|
|Venum Challenger Mouthguard||4 stars|
|Tapou T Adult Special Guard||4 stars|
|Breathable Strapless Dual Mouth Guard||-|
|Under Armour Mouth wear Armour Fit Mouthguard||4 stars|
Made of medical grade silicon, Shock Doctor Double Braces Strapless Mouthguard provides a custom fit and high level of comfort. Equipped with the ortho- channel design, this mouthguard for braces allows a comfortable fit on both upper and lower teeth in the brackets, preventing lacerations. In addition, the ortho-channel provides a structure that allows proper breathing. Proper breathing in sports allows an athlete to perform better. The mouthguard which comes in different size options to provide a comfortable for both young and adults gets adjusted with your teeth with wear. Available in blue and pink, this mouthguard comes in both strap and strapless form and can help protect your teeth and mouth even with rough impact.
One of the best mouth protector for competitive sports, this mouthguard for braces helps protect your teeth and improve your performance. Wearing this mouthguard works beneficially in protecting and cushioning your jaw, forming a brain safety space at the TMJ and bottom of the skull. In addition, while the Aero-flow clench and breathe technology of the mouthguards helps improve breathing and levels of endurance of the athlete, its brain pad design technology helps ease impact forces to the base of the brain. Available in three different colors and sizes for the young and old, this mouthguard for braces comes with an anti- microbial hard shell storage case. What’s more, you get a free $8.000 dental warranty when buying this mouthguard.
Mogo Performance is an amazing product that has utilized flavor technology for adding flavor to the plastic. It is the first flavor mouthguard in the world and made up from the natural ingredients. It is specially designed to keep your mouth protected and make sure you feel comfortable while wearing it.
The PolyFlav resins used in this device are approved by the FDA standards that make it safe for the mouth. In addition, this product has an exceptional design that offers complete protection and maximum comfort to the braces.
Sisu Mouthguards is a premium product that has the ability to diffuse the impact throughout the whole product. It is a conventional type of mouth guard, which is made from a soft material to offer complete protection to the teeth.
In addition, it comes with a SISU case that can protect your product from the harmful particles in the air. They also inhibited the bacteria growth while storing braces in it. This case is ideal for the Junior, Max, and Aero guards that you have to buy separately. In simple language, we can say that it is a unique product whose features is hard to match by the other mouthguards available in the market.
This premium product from Venum has been reviewed as the best mouthguard for braces based on consumer reviews. Featuring a straightforward and sleek design, the Venum Challenger Mouthguard takes up very little space in the oral cavity, thus allowing greater comfort. Aside from being malleable, the high grade FDA-approved polyvinyl material is easy to trim, allowing you to customize the size of the mouthguard to fit users as young as 12 years old.
The design is relatively sleeker and more compact than others in the market. The thickened back cushion makes sure that support and protection are present where they’re most needed, so even in the event of trauma or impact, braces and teeth will remain unscathed.
Finally, this mouthguard is the cheapest of all options. Often offered in sets of two, the Venum Challenger Mouthguard is an economical, effective, and durable product perfect for everyday use.
Primarily designed for adults, this mouthguard for braces helps your teeth aligned while playing your sport competitively. A mouthguard that can be used by athletes with or without braces, Tapou T Adult Special Guard helps protect teeth in a fierce way. Apart from being available in 29 different colors, this mouthguard not only features a top and bottom jaw stabilization, but is also backed by a $30,000 dental warranty. Including two optional straps per package, this mouthguard features integrated channels that remain open, providing maximum breathability and speech clarity. Moreover, since the mouthguard can be re-boiled up to eleven times, it makes it easy to readjust the mouthguard after dental corrections are done. This ensures a proper and comfortable fit.
Designed especially for athletes and orthodontic brace wearers, this mouthguard features three breathing vents in the front for optimal airflow. In addition, this mouth protector fits comfortably between bite pads and helps increase clearance for the tongue. With no boiling required, this mouthguard can be trimmed with scissors to provide a comfortable and customized fit.
Designed for all contact sports, this latex-free mouthguard guard for braces comes with $32,000 dental warranty. This fitted and strapless mouthguard sits close to the skin and helps provide a tramline fit without any type of compression. Featuring the new Armour fit technology, this mouthguard not only provides a dentist-like fit, but also allows you to breathe and talk easily and is chew resistant.
If you are looking for a perfect mouthguard, then it must have the following features that are mentioned below:
Tips to Choose the Right Mouthguard for Braces
- Avoid bulky mouthguards: When buying a mouthguard for braces, avoid choosing the one that is bulky. Bulky mouthguards often take up all the space in the mouth, making it difficult for you to, eat, breathe or communicate.
- Mouthguards should allow room for movement: When choosing a mouthguard for braces, opt for the one that has an extra room for braces. This is important as it allows the braces to align the dentals properly, improving their appearance.
- Do you require lower or upper guard or both: When shopping for mouthguard for braces, always consult your coach or sports trainer to know which type of guard would be best suitable for your needs and requirements.
- Type of mouthguard Required: Basically, there are three types of mouthguards available in the market- custom fitted, boil and bite and stock. Always choose the right type of guard that will help provide maximum protection to your brace and help you stay comfortable.
- Seek the Advice of your Dentist: Since buying a mouthguard can sometimes be tricky, consulting your dentist will not only help you get the right type of mouthguard, but will also help you learn about specific products that help you protect your braces.
How to care for your mouthguard
It’s important to protect your mouthguard from damage and keep it clean since it spends a lot of time in your mouth.
To get the most out of your mouthguard, follow these steps:
- Brush and floss your teeth before putting in your mouthguard.
- Rinse your mouthguard with cool water or mouthwash before putting it in and after taking it out. Avoid using hot water, which can warp its shape.
- Use a toothbrush and toothpaste to clean it after each use.
- Regularly check for holes or other signs of damage, which mean it needs to be replaced.
- Bring your mouthguard to any dentist appointments you have. They can make sure it still fits properly and works.
- Store your mouthguard in a hard container with some ventilation to protect it and allow it to dry out between uses.
- Keep your mouthguard out of reach of any pets, even if the guard is in a container.
Keep in mind that mouthguards don’t last forever. Replace your mouthguard as soon as you start to notice any holes or signs of wear, or every two to three years. You may need to replace stock and boil-and-bite mouthguards more frequently.
The Bottom Line
Playing sports helps improve overall health, but at the same time can be brutal to your body and face. If you are one of those people who have braces and are actively involved in sports and recreational activities, wearing a mouthguard for braces is a must. So what are you waiting for, get the best mouthguard for braces and protect your mouth and smile from injuries all life.