Receding gums, also known as shrinking gums, is a condition in which the gum tissue surrounding and supporting the teeth start to shrink or pull back. It develops gradually and, in the beginning, will only cause pockets or gaps to form between the teeth and gumline.
In A Hurry? These 3 Are The Best:
If you’re searching for the best electric toothbrush for receding gums, then look no further. We have done the hard work of finding and reviewing the five best models and compiled a list here. These toothbrushes include the top-rated, best-selling and even expert-recommended options.
I’ll be providing you with only the best toothbrushes for receding gums that I have personally tested and I have been fully satisfied with their outstanding results.
So here we go…
- The most loved rechargeable electric toothbrush brand by Americans and...
- Improves gum health up to 100 percent better than a manual toothbrush
- Removes up to 6x more plaque along the gumline vs. a manual toothbrush
- Three intensity settings for a gentle and comfortable brushing...
- Patented sonic technology delivers up to 31,000 brush strokes per...
From our research, the Philips Sonicare emerged as the best toothbrush for receding gums. This toothbrush was developed with gum health in mind, as its name suggests.
Its patented sonic technology which delivers 31, 000 brushstrokes a minute allow for an extensive cleaning, so you can achieve the healthiest of gums and teeth. The technology ensures that all surfaces of your teeth and the gum line are thoroughly clean and free of bacteria that eat away the gums.
Extra soft toothbrush for receding gums
As well as incorporating the sonic technology, the manufacturer has designed the brush head in such a way that it removes 6x more plaque than your regular toothbrush while promoting your gum’s health.
And though it’s tough on bacteria and plaque, it still remains gentle on gums and teeth. Its gentle teeth cleaning manner means that it’s also the best option if you’re undergoing dental treatment and have appliances like veneers, crowns, plants, orthodontics or other dental work.
This is the toothbrush you should go for if you want to win your fight against receding gums.
- The world's first of its kind with Bluetooth communication between...
- Real-time feedback with the Oral-B app focuses brushing on your most...
- CrossAction round brush head with perfectly angled bristles for a...
- Clinically proven superior 3D cleaning oscillates, rotates and...
- Rechargeable with 6 modes: Daily Clean, Gum Care, Sensitive,...
This is the best rechargeable electric toothbrush from Oral-B and it’s also their best option for dealing with receding gums. It has got everything you need to deal with your condition.
And many of its features are unmatched. These include its Bluetooth connectivity which allows for communication between the toothbrush and your smartphone. It’s the only model that comes with this feature.
Ideal electric toothbrush for receding gums
This function will blow your mind and revolutionize your dental care routine as it gives you real-time feedback on your brushing habits. You can use the Oral-B App to get dental care tips as well as motivational messages as you continue cleaning your teeth and improving your gums to treat your receding gums.
Through its professionally-inspired 3D cleaning action you’ll be able to reach all surfaces of your teeth, including those hard-to-reach areas, and clean them thoroughly. The tooth cleaning process is made very easy and convenient by its other great features, which include: pressure sensors, 6 cleaning modes, rechargeable, long-lasting battery, waterproofing, indicator bristles, and wireless SmartGuide.
You’ll also find it a great choice if you’re a frequent traveler.
- Smart brushing, superior results: 10x more plaque removal and...
- Featuring innovative Smart Sensor technology: Location sensor shows...
- The Touchup feature provides customized guidance based on your...
- Set goals, track progress and receive personalized coaching, tips and...
- 95% of users agree Flex Care Platinum Connected is the most effective...
The Philips Sonicare is one of those electric toothbrushes that are specifically designed to address the problem of receding gums. It has the potential to transform your brushing experience as well as your gum health.
But what really makes it stand out? Are you asking yourself this very question right now?
Special toothbrush for receding gums
Its main stand out feature is the Deep Clean mode. This special function is actually new and allows you to tackle the problem areas of your teeth and gums and stop gum recession. Through this feature, you can deep clean your teeth and gums in a gentle manner without causing any further complications. You’ll be able to conduct the deepest cleaning possible in your mouth, which is critical to enhancing gum health and eliminating this condition.
- Clinically proven superior 3D Cleaning Action oscillates, rotates and...
- The pressure sensor stops the pulsation movement if you brush too hard...
- 1 Mode, Daily Clean, rotates to break up and sweep away plaque
- Included in pack: 1 Oral-B Professional Handle, 1 CrossAction Brush...
- Compatible with the following replacement toothbrush heads:...
The Oral-B Pro 1000 is another product from Oral-B, which found a place in our list of the best toothbrush for receding gums.
And there are several reasons why it couldn’t miss being on our list.
Firstly, like other Oral-B toothbrush models, it comes with modern technological features that allow for cleaning of the entire mouth and significant improvements in oral health, including gums.
It utilizes the professionally-inspired 3D Cleaning Action technology in which bristles are laid out at a 16-degree angle, allowing them to cover all surfaces of the teeth. Through this technology, the toothbrush is able to reach even those hard-to-reach areas and provide 100% more effective than a manual toothbrush.
It’s Cross Action brush head removes 300% more bacterial plaque along the gumline than your regular manual brush. So this is the brush you need to remove all the plaque and bacteria buildup on your gumline and put a stop to gum recession.
- #1 recommended brand by dental professionals
- Clinically proven to improve gum health in only two weeks. Improves...
- Unique sonic technology: With up to 31,000 brush strokes per minute,...
- Up to 6x more plaque removal vs. a manual toothbrush.Smartimer and...
- Voltage:110-220 V. Operating time (full to empty) - Up to 3...
How did the Philips Sonicare come to be on my list, you wonder? During my research, I contacted and interviewed a number of customers online who had bought and used this electric toothbrush.
All of these current and previous users of the toothbrush echoed something similar
“this toothbrush has helped improve my gum health.”
I went further and acquired the product and tested it personally. And after using the toothbrush for two weeks, I was truly convinced that this product is one of the best electric toothbrushes for gum health available today. I’ll recommend it to anyone who is struggling with receding gums.
It utilizes the unique sonic technology from Philips, which delivers superior cleaning whilst also stimulating gum tissue. Through the use of its Gum Care cleaning mode, you can greatly enhance your gum health in as little as 14 days. You’ll also be able to reduce or even eliminate gum bleeding and inflammations and protect yourself against gum disease.
Top 5 Best Toothbrushes For Receding Gums Review 2019
Symptoms of Receding Gums
Gum recession can be identified both by sight and by feeling. Those affected by the problem tend to have a tooth or teeth that are longer than usual. Though this is a normal part of aging in those over 40, people with receding gums tend to notice them much earlier than that. Teeth sensitivity and discomfort is another symptom of this condition and can be identified by feeling the teeth at the gumline. The teeth usually feel notched at the top. Other symptoms that accompany receding gums include: plaque, calcium deposits on teeth, stained teeth, yellow roots, teeth decay, red, puffy or swollen gums, increase in the gaps between teeth, exposed or visible tooth roots, bleeding gums, and bad breath.
Causes of Gum Recession
There are several contributive factors associated with this condition. These include:
1. Poor or inadequate oral/dental hygiene
Failure to commit to a daily oral hygiene routine, which includes brushing at least twice daily and flossing thoroughly once daily, causes bacteria to accumulate at the gumline leading to recession.
2. Improper dental care
Brushing and flossing your teeth daily is not enough. To ensure your teeth are thoroughly clean and keep bacteria at bay, you have to do it correctly. That means cleaning all surfaces of the teeth and to get professional dental cleaning at least every 6 months.
3. Aggressive tooth brushing
Vigorous and/or incorrect brushing can cause teeth to wear down leading to recession. What’s more, when teeth enamel become worn out, it may create spaces between teeth which can harbor bacteria that eat into gums.
4. Gum diseases
Gingivitis and periodontal disease are some of the major causes of receding gums. These conditions are characterized by accumulation or buildup of bacterial plaque, which produces acids that demineralize the tooth and irritate gums causing a recession.
5. Teeth misalignment issues
Misaligned or crooked teeth that don’t come together evenly when closing the mouth can put a strain on the teeth, gums, and jawbone, and thereby cause a recession.
6. Teeth grinding
Like misalignment, frequent grinding or clenching of teeth can put pressure on the teeth and gums and give rise to gum recession.
Consuming tobacco products for a prolonged period of time leads to a buildup of tartar, which harms the gums and may contribute to this condition.
8. Problems associated with dental appliances
Faulty or improper fitting dental appliances like crowns, bridgework or dentures can create stress and cause damage to the gumline and contribute to the development of receding gums.
When choosing a toothbrush to deal with your receding gums, you should not bother with manual options. This is simply because they won’t be of much help. Electric toothbrushes offer the best option when it comes to treating receding gums. They’ve been clinically proven to improve gums and teeth. And most models come with the soft-bristled brush heads often recommended for people with this condition.
Here are more reasons why you should only consider an electric toothbrush for your receding gums.
What to do against receding gums?
The most important way to combat receding gums is by keeping your teeth as cleans as possible. Brush twice a day and also clean between your teeth and molars with a toothpick or flosser. On top of that, make sure not to brush too hard. You’ll only make things worse. By choosing a toothbrush with a pressure sensor, you can be sure you’ll never brush too hard. It’ll tell you when you brush too hard.
Can receding gums be treated?
Want to get rid of receding gums? There are treatments that could repair the worst of the damage. From special braces to treatment by a periodontologist, which will help clean the pockets from the inside. This helps the gums to repair themselves somewhat. Finally, flap surgery may be a solution. The gums will be cut away, shifted, and cleaned from the inside. Note: the chance of your gums healing completely is very small.
Electric Toothbrush Is the Dentist Recommended Choice for Receding Gums
- Electric toothbrushes have been shown to remove up to 100% more bacteria and plaque from teeth compared to manual options. Bacteria and, specifically problems caused by bacterial plaque-like gum disease, are the main cause of receding gums. With this type of toothbrush, you can effective remove bacteria and reduce gum inflammation to prevent a recession.
- Electric toothbrushes come with a timer, which limits the cleaning period to a specific timeframe – specifically 2 minutes. This ensures that you don’t over-brush, which can harm the gums.
- These toothbrushes come with advanced technologies such as micropulse bristles and more, which allow them to clean teeth thoroughly and quickly. With this type of toothbrush, you can effectively deal with all those dental hygiene-related factors that cause receding gums.
- Electric toothbrushes not only feature soft-bristled brush heads but also come with pressure sensors that prevent you from exerting excessive pressure on teeth and gums – which can exacerbate the problem.
- It is very easy to avoid aggressive brushing with an electric model.
- An electric toothbrush is user-friendly, yet cleans better and more effectively. It also has the ability to massage gums and improve oral health. This is what you need to address your problem of receding gums!
Receding Gums | Frequently Asked Questions
To prevent gum disease it’s important that when the gum recession occurs you take steps to treat and reverse it. After that, it’s also necessary to take appropriate action to prevent it from occurring again. It includes brushing and flossing every day on a regular basis, as well as regular visits to the dentist. Also, make sure that you’re properly brushing and not applying too much pressure. If you have the Oral B toothbrush, 5000 or 7000 it will help you with that. The sensitive modes of electric toothbrushes can provide more gentle brushing, which is important when you have sensitive teeth or gums.
Take good care of your oral hygiene. We hope that in our best electric toothbrush for receding gums review you have found the necessary information in your search.